- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS) Notable Tradebooks for Young People
- Carter G. Woodson Book Awards
- John Newberry Medal and Honor Books
- Randolph Caldecott Medal Books
- Librarian Recommendations
- Literacy Experts Recommendation
- Personal Recommendations (based on classroom use)
The list resulting from the library review was then matched against those books recommended by respected sources that review children's books about Native Americans. The primary resources for this review were the Oyate website, A Broken Flute, and Debbie Reese's blog. Some texts were maintained in the list even though there were concerns about aspects of the works (e.g., The Buffalo Hunt by Russell Freedman), but information about these failings was shared with students in the module. The final final list appears below.